Powered By Blogger

Friday, October 23, 2015

Open Letter to Girl Dads; My Husband



We've all heard the saying "Any Man Can Father A Child, But It Takes A Man To Raise One", and that saying is entirely too true; and in our society where it is so easy and acceptable to walk away from a baby, unfortunately it isn't uncommon.

But, also, in a society where people seem to think that being a mother, and especially a father, to a girl or girls is a punishment of some kind, or for something you've done earlier in life. It's almost a stigma if you have more girls than boys in your family.

"What did your husband do to deserve that?"
 
"Do you know what you're in for?"

"You're in trouble.."

"I'm so glad I never had girls."

Are all things I (and I know other girl moms) have heard multiple times, and since finding out that our second baby, coming along in February, is another girl, has just multiplied. And to those people who think it's okay to say those kind of things to another mother should be ashamed of yourself, especially about something my husband and I prayed hard for. No, we didn't care if it was a girl or a boy, we were just so happy to be able to bring another life into our family and love him or her unconditionally. Is there anything wrong with having boys? Of course not! I would love a son just as much as my daughter.

So to all dads to girls, I'll say this.

Keep. It. Up.

Raise those girls to be the best version of yourself that you can possibly imagine. From playing the sport they love with their entire heart, to getting the best possible GPA, volunteering to read to senior citizens on the weekends, being the best friend they can be, and never giving up. They always need to know that since they were little girls playing with their favorite Fisher Price toy until you're very last breath that you are going to be there for her. There to push her to her limit, to be her very best friend, but to also never let her get away with breaking the rules. Teach her all the things she needs to learn about life, and love her mother. Even if you aren't together, show her how to respect other people without having to agree with them on every subject. Lead by example. Be the dad who will tie her bow for her cheerleading practice, and also teach her how to change the oil in her car. And, of course, be the person she looks for in her future husband or wife.

And to my husband,

Thank you. Thank you. Thank you.

Thank you for coming home everyday, going straight to our daughter and making her smile, clap, wave, and yell "dada!" Thank you for working whatever weekends you can to keep all of our needs met. Thank you for being so excited about having another girl, even though I know you wanted a boy. Thank you for giving me these precious gifts. You are my best friend, my other half, and my happiness. I wouldn't want to share my life with anyone besides you. I cannot wait to see where this life leads us. As long as I have you to fuss at, to laugh with, to plan life with, I know I'll be the happiest wife, mother, and partner you'll ever meet, and I cannot wait to see what our girls (and other future children) are going to do with their life.

Here's to you, Dads!

xoxo, Caitie B

No comments:

Post a Comment